At Boys and Girls Clubs of the Mississippi Valley, we empower all youth to reach their highest potential by providing safe spaces and transformative experiences.
The Boys & Girls Clubs is a youth development organization that promotes character development and prevents delinquency. This is accomplished through services directed at providing behavioral guidance and the promotion of health, social, educational, vocational and character development of children.
Programs and activities are designed to help individual members by stressing health and fitness, citizenship and leadership development, skill development, and educational career development.
HISTORY OF LOCAL ORGANIZATION
The Boys and Girls Clubs of the Mississippi Valley ("BGCMV") has been serving the needs of area young people since 1994. It is a member of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, a national organization of non-profit, non-sectarian private agencies serving young people in clubs nationwide.
Are you an alumni of BGCMV? Please contact BGCMV Executive Director, Torri Smith at 309-757-7307 ext. 310. We'd love to hear about your career and how the Club helped you!
Boys & Girls Clubs of America has launched the Boys & Girls Clubs' Alumni & Friends Club! If you are a former Club kid, please consider joining this community.
The benefits of joining this group include:
Finding peer support and networking opportunities
Access to scholarships, mentorships and other career resources
Engagement as mentors and advocates for Clubs & youth
What is the Boys & Girls Clubs?
Boys & Girls Clubs of America is a national organization that provides affordable after school programs for youth ages 6-18. Boys & Girls Clubs are found in all 50 states and is consistently ranked one of the best organization for youth in the country. The local chapter in the Quad Cities is the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Mississippi Valley.
What makes BGCMV different that other after school programs?
There are characteristics that touch most youth agencies; however, the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Mississippi Valley demonstrates these unique characteristics:
- Building Centered — The Boys and Girls Club is a place, an actual building designed for youth programs and activities.
- For All Boys and Girls — We serve all boys and girls ages 6-18.
- Daily Access to Programs — The Boys and Girls Club is open when youth need us the most. We are open Monday-Friday when youth have free time and need positive alternatives. We are also open on non-holidays when members are not in school.
- Affordable — Our members pay no more than $15 per school year program and no child is ever turned away due to inability to pay.
- Accessible and Community Based — Our Clubs are located in neighborhoods where kids need us the most and similar resources are not available.
- Trained Professional Staff —Trained and caring youth development professionals provide daily guidance and supervision to Club members and serve as role models and mentors.
- Tested, Proven Curriculums — Our Club members participate in a variety of programs in the areas of Education & STEM, Character & Leadership, Health & Wellness, The Arts, and Sports & Recreation
Are you the same as Big Brothers Big Sisters?
No, BBBS is a 1:1 mentoring program where the youth and mentor go on outings a few times a month. BGC is a comprehensive youth development program that serves all its members in one place every day during out of school hours.
What does a typical day at BGCMV look like?
During the school year, all members are expected to complete their homework daily during Power Hour. Staff and volunteers are on hand to assist with any questions members may have.
After that, members participate in different activities. We have a wide variety of programs that are in our five Core Program Areas.
We also provide guest speakers, special events, and field trips to our members.
After program time, members have Social Recreation time, where they can learn recreation games such as pool or ping pong, play video games, finish art projects, and have free time with their friends. All of our Clubs provide a snack and meal for members daily, at no additional cost.
Who can belong to the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Mississippi Valley?
Any child between the ages of 6-18 years old that is currently enrolled in school.
How much does it cost to be a member at the BGCMV?
Fees are $15 per member per school year. Additional fees may apply to our Summer Programs.
Why are your fees so low?
We intentionally keep our fees low so that we are accessible to all children.
How are you funded?
All of our funding comes from individual and corporate donations, grants and special events.
What special events do you have?
Our events include a golf outing in July, a fishing derby in August, and a ball drop in October. Please see our Events tab for additional information.
What are your hours of operation?
Davenport Club: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Robert & Blenda Ontiveros Youth Center (in Moline) 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Hours may change to meet needs, please see the Club pages for specific days and times.
Where are you located?
- Robert & Blenda Ontiveros Youth Center, 1122 5th Avenue, Moline, IL
- Davenport Club and Daveport Teen Center, 1702 N. Main Street, Davenport IA (in the JB Young Opportunity Center)
Please see the Club pages for more contact information.
How do you keep so many children in your program?
BGCMV is NOT a court-ordered program. Members come to Club because they want to. The number one reason kids come to Club is to have FUN. This is a drop-in program so they can leave at any time. We keep it fun so they want to stay.
This template controls the elements:
FOOTER: Footer Title, Footer Descriptions
CUSTOM MENU: Images and columns into header main menu submenu items
* This message is only visible in administrative mode